Pathways to Research and Doctoral Careers
Pathways to Research and Doctoral Careers (PREDOC) is a consortium of universities and research institutions that aims to foster a talented, diverse, and inclusive population in the quantitative social sciences.
PREDOC’s strategy is to leverage the booming market of full-time pre-doctoral research assistantships (“pre-docs”), working with our partners to expand the talent pool; reduce informational frictions; scout for talent; and engage, mentor, and educate students from any background. Our goal is to help pre-doc and PhD programs identify and admit those who are likely to move the quantitative social sciences forward, while simultaneously supporting those nascent scholars on their way to a research career.
Learn more about the pathway to a pre-doc with this video.
The Pre-doc Track
Pre-doctoral opportunities (pre-docs) are full-time jobs supporting faculty research that typically last two years. They are a great option for people who are considering a PhD but aren't completely sure they're ready, or that a PhD is what they want. Learn how many opportunities a pre-doc—and a PhD—can prepare you for.Why do a pre-doc?
Overview of the Consortium
PREDOC is committed to cultivating research environments and workplaces that are diverse and inclusive. We actively recruit and mentor pre-docs who bring new perspectives to our academic disciplines and strengthen our ideas. Our practices include:
- Proactively reaching out to, mentoring, and recruiting individuals who are underrepresented in our fields.
- Expanding our engagement with diverse populations to increase and diversify the pool of pre-doctoral candidates.
- Establishing academic and professional development opportunities, including mentorship programs, research assistantships, and courses.
- Counseling hiring managers on best hiring practices.
- Establishing program-wide mentoring, as well as academic and professional development opportunities, for current pre-docs.
While consortium institutions are primarily business schools and economics departments, we welcome interest from individuals with a wide range academic backgrounds. The faculties at PREDOC institutions include economists, computer scientists, statisticians, psychologists, engineers, and sociologists, to name only a few fields. We are eager to engage with anyone interested in quantitative research in the social sciences.
Connect with PREDOC
Our newsletters share job openings, events, and all things pre-doctoral positions. Sign up today to stay informed.